These sugar cookies with nutella stuffing is just so delicious! And it’s hard to only eat one. Perfect to bake and then store in the freezer. And you can also microwave them a little before serving to get the filling even more creamier. So good.
around 30 cookies.
6 1/2 dl flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
220 g butter, softened
4 1/2 dl granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
about 2 dl Nutella
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set bowl aside.
- In another bowl add in butter and 3 1/2 dl of the sugar. Use a stand mixer or a hand mixer and beat on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg to bowl, mixing for another 1-2 minutes.
- Using a spatula or a large spoon, slowly add the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. If needed, kneed the dough with your hands to make sure all the dry ingredients are absorbed.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill dough for 1 hour in the fridge.
- While dough chills, line a large baking sheet (that can fit in your freezer) with parchment paper. Spoon out 1-2 tsp of Nutella and place it on the parchment paper. If possible, try to keep Nutella in ball or oval shapes.
- Place tray of Nutella in the freezer while dough chills.
- When dough is set, preheat oven to 170 degrees. To prep for cookies: Line another 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper, fill a small bowl with 1 dl sugar, bring sugar cookie dough and Nutella over to your workspace, and have a few wet and dry paper towels handy.
- Scoop 2 tsp of sugar cookie dough into your hand and roll to a ball and flatten it to a small pancake. Place a ball of frozen Nutella on the top. Gently pinch the dough together and loosely roll the cookie between the palm your hands, forming a ball, then roll cookie in sugar.
- Place finished cookie on the prepared baking sheet, spacing cookies 5 cm apart. Repeat these steps with the rest of the dough and Nutella. Use the wet and dry paper towels to remove excess Nutella from your hands.
- If you need to bake the cookies in batches, place the unused dough and Nutella back in the refrigerator/freezer until ready for next batch.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes, or until the very edges and bottoms of the sugar cookies begin to turn golden brown. Cookies may be puffy – this is okay, they will deflate as they cool.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days or you can store them longer in the freezer.