Another simple dish, as I always say. Chicken thighs that are marinated in lemon and garlic, fit so well together. And it suits so perfect with this herb rice that I cooked with a little chicken stock and then fried with onions in a pan. How good doesn’t that sound? You can flavour your cooked rice in so many different ways and normal cooked rice can be quite boring sometimes. I also made a simple cold sauce that suited well for this dish, but it’s optional.
I recommend to use an oven prof skillet with a suitable lid.
Chicken and Marinade:
5 chicken thighs, skin on
1 lemon, zest + 4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp dried oregano
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
For the rice:
3 dl uncooked rice
1.5 tbsp concentrated chicken stock
1 tbsp dried oregano
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 dl chopped parsley
salt and pepper
2 dl greek yoghurt
1 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the Chicken and Marinade ingredients in a plastic bag and set aside for at least 30 minutes but preferably for a few hours.
- Cook the rice according to package but add the chicken stock and the oregano in the water and let it cook with the rice. Set a side when the rice is cooked.
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Remove chicken from marinade. Heat some olive oil in a deeper skillet over medium high heat.
- Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, then turn and cook the other side until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to an oven prof dish and put into the oven.
- Pour off fat and wipe the pan with a paper towel (to remove burned rests).
- Heat more olive oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. Add the cooked rice, stir and let it fry for a few minutes. Then add the chopped parsley and stir everything together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Take out the chicken and place them on top of the rice and put a lid on and put back into the oven and let bake for about 10 minutes, until chicken is done. Mix the cold sauce during the time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, garnished with parsley and fresh lemon zest, if you want.