This raw, vegan and gluten free carrot cake is easy to make and taste so good! I really love regular carrot cake, it’s a big favourite but these are perfect if you want to skip the dairy and the gluten. Healthier choice! I recommend to use a food processor while doing this cake, otherwise you could use a mixer, should work fine.
Only thing you need to prepare is to soak the raw cashews in water for at least 2h and use a full fat coconut milk from a can, and don’t shake it, let stand in the fridge for at least 30 min so the cream and the water separates. And remember to use RAW nuts, and not the salted or roasted ones.
I promise you will love these! You will get around 15 pieces and you can store them in a airtight container in the freezer. :) Take them out 15 min before serving.
1 1/2 dl raw almonds
1 1/2 dl raw walnuts
2 1/2 dl dates
1 dl grated carrots
1/2 dl grated coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
zest from 1 orange (save 1 tsp for garnish)
1 1/2 dl raw cashews
1 dl coconut milk, only the creamy part (not the water)
1 tbsp coconut oil
2-3 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chopped raw walnuts
- Preparation: Soak the cashews in double the amount of water for at least 2 hours. Drain and set aside. Put the can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge for 30 min so the cream and water separates.
- Blend the almonds and walnuts in your food processor until they form a course meal, about 20 sec. Add the rest of the base layer ingredients and process to a firm mass.
- Line a bread pan with parchment. Add the base layer into pan and spread evenly with clean hands. Press down firmly to mold. Place pan in the freezer meanwhile you doing the top layer.
- In the cleaned food processor, add drained soaked cashews and the rest of the top layer ingredients. Process for a minute or two, stopping to scrape down sides. If it’s too thick, add some coconut water. It is ready when it has a creamy consistency.
- Take the pan out of the freezer and pour the top layer on. Spread out evenly and garnish with chopped walnuts and the reserved orange zest. Put back in the freezer for about 1h.
- Remove the cake from the parchment paper and place on a cutting board. Cut into bite sized pieces. Serve after 15 minutes at room temperature. Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer.