Shakshuka has flavours from the Middle east and North Africa and is so delicious and easy to make. This tomatoey one-pan dish will definitely impress on the brunch table. It’s both dairy free and gluten free. I like to serve this dish with yummy bread or a salad.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, white part only, sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 green paprika, diced
Pinch of cayenne pepper (or dried chilli flakes) and paprika powder
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
1 tsp tomato paste
800g tinned chopped tomatoes (2 cans)
2 dl frozen peas
1 large handful fresh spinach leaves
Mint leaves as garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the leek, paprika, garlic, spices, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the paprika have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Next stir in the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and the peas and then bring everything to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, season with more spices/salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for a few minutes.
- Make four divots in the sauce and crack an egg into each one. Cover and leave for about 3-5 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking (the yolk should still be very soft).
- Serve straight from the pan, garnish with mint leaves.
- Serve with your choice of crusty bread or a salad.